Department: Learning & Creativity
Job Status: Full time
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Reports to: Director of L & C
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday, some nights and weekends
Travel Required: Occasional
Positions Supervised: Docent Program and Group Tours (including Gazing at GRAM)
The Group Experience Manager is responsible for leading and managing all aspects of GRAM’s docent and group tour programs. This position includes planning docent-training sessions around key issues in gallery teaching, and developing materials, information, and a curriculum of studies for docents. The Group Experience Manager will also lead ongoing expansion that will encompass adding more volunteer docents and developing an increasing menu of tour programs.
Essential Job Functions
1. Leadership of the docent program, including the development of guiding themes/principles for training and tours, and expanding of programmatic offerings involving docents.
2. Development and planning of training sessions, including setting the training schedule and defining the content and needs for each gathering.
3. Researching upcoming exhibitions, permanent collection, and gallery teaching methodologies to provide docents with supplemental materials.
4. Work with other museum departments to ensure that the docent program meets the needs of visitors and the goals of the Learning and Creativity Department and Museum.
5. Maintenance of regular correspondence to keep docents apprised of changes in the galleries, meeting reminders, and other pertinent information.
6. Recruitment, training, and development/evaluation of Provisional Docents.
7. Management and collaboration with the Docent Council to ensure positive group dynamics among docents, troubleshoot issues concerning tour offerings, and plan special events for docents. Attend Volunteer Council Meetings.
8. Maintenance of administrative and procedural tools such as the docent program policies and participant handbook, and manage docent program and group tours annual budget.
9. Creation of guidelines and assessment materials to ensure reflective practice and continued development of docent gallery teaching skills.
10. Development of experiences and tours for adult groups, including working with internal and external partners to create a variety of engagement options.
11. Oversee scheduling and maintenance of group tour programs, including managing relationships, creating and maintaining tour programs, and managing budget.
a. Fielding and maintaining communication with group organizer.
b. Coordinating and tracking tour payments
c. Tracking tour demographics for monthly reporting
d. Scheduling and maintaining contact with docents to ensure proper numbers, tour topic clarity, and
goals for tours
e. Maintaining all tour day needs, including facilitating tour logistic concerns and
monitoring/assessing gallery teaching.
12. Oversee Gazing at GRAM tour program by working to maintain relationships, and expand program incrementally and strategically.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor’s degree in Art History, Art Education, Fine/Studio Art, or Museum Studies, a Master’s degree is preferred. Excellent leadership and communication skills are required, along with strengths in writing and verbal communication for interacting with the public, volunteers, museum staff, and other constituencies. The individual should be a confident and inspiring public speaker. Individual should bring strong organizational and research skills, a knowledge of art history and current trends in gallery teaching strategies, an aptitude for detail and the ability to work independently as well as in a team-setting to creatively develop programs. Proficient in Microsoft Office software as well as familiarity with social media and/or communications based web platforms. Willingness and ability to work nights and weekends.
Physical Job Requirements
While performing this job the employee will be required to sit (60%), stand and walk (40%). Will be required to lift up to 20 lbs occasionally. Will be required to do close work with a computer monitor and perform repetitive hand movements. Must be able to communicate verbally.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, GRAM has a strong commitment to diversity.
Posted on the MMA website 4/18.