Posted on 6/14/2022
Reports to: Retail & Visitor Experience Manager
Visitor Experience Associates (VEA) provide exceptional customer service during regular museum hours at both the Detroit Historical Museum and Dossin Great Lakes Museum and their respective retail stores. Associates will also provide general support for Society programming and services. Preferred candidates should have an interest in Detroit history and have availability to work a combination of weekdays, weekends, occasional evenings and potentially on holidays when the museums are open.
This is a part-time position, approximately 10 - 29 hours per week. Occasionally, additional hours may be available.
Position Description:· Enthusiastically greet the public, providing them with information and orientation to the museums
· Be engaging when speaking with a guest and always thank them for their visit
· Develop in-depth knowledge of museum operations, as well as its history, exhibitions and membership program
· Promote and process memberships and assist with membership mailings and database entry.
· Complete transactions and merchandising in Museum Stores
· Answer telephones, open/close registers, prepare paperwork for Accounting
· Monitor Museum security cameras
· Maintain DHS safety and security standards
· Assist other DHS departments including Education, Events, Facilities, Marketing, and Memberships
Desired Qualifications:· High School Diploma or G.E.D. credential required; some college preferred
· Valid driver’s license
· Detail oriented with an ability to multi-task
· Friendly and reliable
· Outgoing people person
· Comfortable working with diverse populations regardless of ability, age, ethnicity,
· Retail and/or customer service experience with cash handling
· Data entry and computer skills
· Familiarity with Downtown and Midtown Detroit a plus
· Membership sales a plus
· First Aid/AED/CPR certification a plus
· Must be willing to authorize a background check
hires begin at $10.00 per hour
and are eligible for an increase to $12.00 per hour immediately upon achieving
Altru certification. New hires will be eligible to move to $14/hr after
60 days. After one year, employees will
be eligible for an increase to $15 per hour.
DHS complies with current COVID-19 government mandates and standards for facilities cleaning and social distancing and requires daily employee health screenings.
DHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we encourage a diverse pool of candidates to apply.
Please apply to: firstname.lastname@example.org