YOUR ROLE WITH US
Do you have a passion for storytelling, an inquisitive nature and excellent writing skills? The Midland Center for the Arts is looking for a Public Relations Manager to direct our internal and external communications, ensuring we communicate effectively with our stakeholders and share the wonderful stories of the staff, volunteers and guest artists who power the Midland Center. This position reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications.
ABOUT MIDLAND CENTER FOR THE ARTS
A cultural destination in the heart of Michigan, the Midland Center for the Arts is on a dynamic course of growth and change in preparation for celebrating its 50th anniversary in the coming years. The Center’s unique business and program model creates unusual and exciting opportunities. The Center features a four-story museum of science and art, a 1,500-seat proscenium theater and a separate 400-seat theater housed within an architecturally significant midcentury modern building, and also an off-site history center comprised of historical homes and museum facilities. In addition to museum programming and performing arts presenting, the Midland Symphony Orchestra, a professional regional symphony, the Center Stage community theatre and choirs all fall under the Center’s umbrella.
DUTIES AND RESPONSBILITIES
The duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
1) Communication plan: Working with the Director of Marketing and Communications, the Public Relations Manager will create a comprehensive communications strategy to ensure we keep stakeholdersemployees, donors, volunteers, museum members, ticket holders- informed about what’s happening at the Center. This will include identifying and prioritizing key stakeholders, developing an annual content calendar that provides consistency yet flexibility, developing an editing and review process, developing metrics for success and tracking and managing a budget to support these efforts.
2) Storytelling and content generation: The Center connects with incredible people, produces and hosts amazing shows, provides engaging programs and educational opportunities and serves as a gathering point for the arts and culture in the Great Lakes Bay Region. The Public Relations Manager will help us identify meaningful stories and capture them in words and visuals for use on social media, in newsletters, with traditional media outlets and in other forms to enhance our brand.
3) Media relations: The Public Relations Manager will have developed or be able to develop strong relationships with print, radio and television reporters and bloggers throughout the Great Lakes Bay Region. The candidate will feel comfortable pitching news and feature stories, preparing our team and board for successful interviews, tracking and sharing media results, managing our media database and fielding media inquiries. The Public Relations Manager will also provide fresh content for the Press Room on our website on a regular and ongoing basis.
4) Social media management: The Public Relations Manager will support our current social media team by repurposing content developed for newsletters, press releases, etc. into engaging content for Facebook, 9/21/18 Twitter and Instagram. He/she will also accompany or give suggestions for photography to visually tell the story. And assist with answering questions on social media messaging as needed.
5) Editing: Working quickly and without error, the Public Relations Manager will proofread and edit marketing materials for accuracy, inclusion of pertinent information, readability and adherence to our brand standards.
6) Brand ambassador: The Public Relations Manager will serve as one of our leading brand ambassadors in the Great Lakes Bay Region, representing the Center at events, with the media, online and in person.
7) Speakers Bureau: Create and implement an annual series of speaking engagements across the region for the Center Staff- CEO, Director of Marketing, Programming Directors and PR Manager to tell our story and ensure that we are visible within the community.
8) Crisis management: The Public Relations Manager will assist in overseeing communications in the event of a crisis or issue. Working with the senior leadership team, the Public Relations Manager will work to quickly and effectively develop appropriate communication tools to support managing the issue at hand, swiftly returning to “business as usual” while safeguarding the organization’s brand.
The ideal candidate will be a(n):
• Strong writer and editor who is adept with various communication forms, including press releases, social media posts, newsletters, board reports, annual reports, memos, letters, and master key messaging.
• Compelling storyteller who can identify, develop and polish engaging stories about our people and programs
• Fast yet error-free producer of content
• Excellent time manager who sets and meets deadlines for both short-term and long-term projects
• Flexible multi-tasker who can move effortlessly between projects
• Team player
Education and Experience Requirements :
• 2-6 years of experience in the Public Relations and/or Communication Field
• Preferred college degree in Public Relations or Communications
• Demonstrated experience in media relations and social media management
• APR certification preferred
• InDesign and Photography experience a plus
Email Cover Letter and Resume to:
HR, Payroll & Benefits Manager
Midland Center for the Arts
1801 W. St. Andrews
Midland, MI 48640
Deadline: Open until Filled
Posted on the MMA website 9/25.