Part-time, non-exempt, $15 per hour
Ford House Tour & Education Associates are responsible for welcoming visitors into and through the House, overseeing the safety of visitors and the security of the House and collection, monitoring visitor capacity and flow through the House, answering visitors’ questions, working with the Collections team to maintain the general cleanliness of public areas, and communicating with Visitor Services, shuttle drivers, and Security staff, as needed. The Tour & Education Associates are also responsible for working with tour-related technologies in the House, such as iPads and digital monitors.
Tour & Education Associates may assist in running educational and community programs, such as arts workshops, fitness and teen programs, and festivals. Tour & Education Associates may also have opportunities to learn and be scheduled to lead group and public tours through the House and grounds. Participation in ongoing training, demonstration of cultural competencies, and strict compliance with evolving Covid-19 safety protocols, and a minimum availability of 18 hours a week are required.
Responsibilities and Skills● Be interested in history and contemporary cultural issues
● Have confidence and skill in public speaking and storytelling
● Be responsive to the interests of groups and individuals
● Be flexible and capable of improvisation, and comfortable with change and innovation
● Demonstrate excellent time management
● Be able to master significant amounts of information
● Be able to translate the information into coherent and engaging narratives
● Demonstrate cultural competency and excellent customer service skills
● Demonstrate computer and digital technology competencies to navigate our online learning platform, operate digital picture frames, and maintain email communication
● Welcome and incorporate constructive feedback
● Be prepared to assist the Collections Department in maintaining the House as needed
● Embody our IDEA mission in all interactions
● Classroom management
● Social and organizational skills for event support
● Zoom presentation skills
● Comfort with diverse technologies
This position requires a uniform. A uniform shirt will be provided, and the shirt should be maintained by the Associate. All staff must have professional appearance.
● A minimum of 18 hours/week availability
Key Characteristics/Traits● Positive and outgoing personality
● Enjoy public speaking and presentations
● Teaching experience is a plus
● Theater/acting/performance/storytelling background is a plus
● Responsible, reliable, and able to use good judgment
● The flexibility and sensitivity to work with diverse personalities and situations
● Friendly, courteous, empathetic, and engaging presence with all visitors and staff, including those of all abilities, ages, and backgrounds
● Minimum H.S. Diploma/GED and relevant work experience in hospitality, sales, or visitor/guest services
Other Job Requirements● Successful completion of background and credit check
● Available to work weekends, nights, and some holidays
● Physically able to stand and walk through the rooms of the House and grounds for long periods of time, able to use a computer, able to bend and/or stoop, climb, and lift up to 25 lbs. to perform tasks that may be required in the course of museum operation
Email resume and completed application to email@example.com. Indicate in subject line: ”Tour & Education Associate.” Please, no phone calls.
Ford House is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, religion, ethnicity, national origin, alienage or citizenship, disability, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information, or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and/or certain state or local laws.
Posted on 2/3/2021