Compensation: $800 stipend upon completion of internship
Reports to: Education and Volunteer Coordinator
At the Holland Museum, we strive to connect with our community outside and well as inside the museum. This position will be responsible for supporting that goal by enhancing the museum’s community outreach initiatives through work with the Meet Up and Eat Up summer meal program. This position will actively develop offsite educational programs and activity kits for children to be distributed at weekly Meet Up and Eat Up sites.
About Meet Up and Eat Up
Meet Up and Eat Up is a national summer meal program that was created to ensure that children have access to healthy and nourishing foods, even when school is not in session. The program serves children ages 18 and under, providing them with food, physical activity, educational enrichment, and social engagement Monday-Friday from mid-June through August. The Holland Museum, in partnership with the Ottawa County Food Policy Council, has participated in the Ottawa County Meet Up and Eat Up initiative in Holland since 2015. Representing the Holland Museum, the Youth & Family Engagement Intern will be onsite two days a week at several sites, distributing STEAM based activities, coordinating volunteers and community partners, and engaging children and families in the history of the Holland community.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities- Greet and interact with children and families participating in the summer meal program in an open, friendly manner.
- Develop unique ways to engage and build relationships with a diverse local community.
- Work with museum staff and community partners to create a monthly calendar of inclusive, weekly activities for the site, to be submitted to supervisor for approval at least two weeks prior to the start of the month.
- Order all supplies and create activity bags for each week, keeping within budget.
- Staff all summer meal program hours at the Faith Church site, as well as additional hours as assigned.
- Attend monthly committee meetings on behalf of the Holiday West site alongside museum staff and our community partners.
- Support the distribution of marketing materials to promote Meet Up and Eat Up in the community.
- Perform historic research using sources from archival documents, Internet databases, etc.
- Generate reports, manuals, activity plans, program curriculum, etc. as assigned based on findings from site data and historic research.
- Assist in training and managing on-site volunteers.
- Maintain a professional demeanor at all times, including during training sessions and with other staff and volunteers.
- Perform a variety of other administrative and clerical functions in support of the department’s mission including: assisting with correspondence; coordinating mass mailings; preparing materials for tours, programs, and exhibits, etc.
- Other duties as requested or assigned.
- Act as part of a Summer Intern Council that will tackle issues of cultural importance for the community that the Museum serves. The Council will be guided by the Museum staff to complete a project that will develop leadership and communication skills. Responsibilities include:
Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent required. BA/BS in a related field preferred. Demonstrated experience working with preschool and elementary-aged children. One to three years’ experience working in customer service. Proficiency in Spanish preferred.
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must be outgoing, with exceptional customer service and communication (verbal and written) skills.
15-20 hours per week. Must be available to work Monday-Friday during the lunch hour (11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.). Additional time outside of regular summer meal program hours will be required for planning and meetings.
A $800 stipend will be paid upon successful completion of the internship. Housing is not included as part of this internship.
Submit cover letter, resume, writing sample, and the names and contact information for three professional references to Michelle Stempien, Education and Community Programs Manager, at email@example.com. Materials must be submitted by April 23, 2021.
Posted on 3/23/2021